What We Do
- We are a small craft bakery making hand made bread from the best ingredients using traditional methods.
- We use organic flour from Shipton Mill, salt from the sea and water from the tap.
- We use no additives, improvers or stabilizers.
- We make many of our breads without the addition of commercial yeast, but with naturally occurring ‘wild’ yeasts and friendly bacteria cultivated in levain (sourdough). Other ‘yeasty’ breads are made with a pre-fermentation (poulish).
- We use long and slow fermentation techniques to enhance the flavour, texture and character of the finished loaf.
- Each loaf is gently crafted by hand and baked on the stone sole of the oven.
- We endeavour to make the best bread we can, with integrity and without compromise.
- When the bread comes out of the oven we let it cool and sell directly from our bakery at the Brewery Building on North Street or deliver within our local community by bicycle, the ‘Breadmobile’ which runs on flour power.
Bakers are born, not made. We are exacting people who delight in submitting ourselves to rules and formulas if it means achieving repeatable perfection.
Rose Levy Beranbaum